Monday, September 26, 2011

9/24 Event

In an event last week, 12-year-old author Kekaulele Kawai’ae’e came to American University to discuss his children’s book Kohala Kuamo: Nae’ole’s Race to Save a King.  Nae’ole’s Race to Save a King was written when Kekaulele was only 9-years-old.  It was a collaboration between himself, his father, and his grandfather.  Kekaulele grew up with father and grandfather telling him Nae’ole’s Race to Save a King.  This story was always important to the family because it was their ancestors’ story that was passed down through oral tradition.  During a school project, Kekaulele decided to record this oral tradition with his grandfather’s words and his father’s art.  It’s particularly interesting that how this story in passed down through generations in different mediums.  It’s also an extraordinary feat for a child to publish as such a young age.  The story itself is fascinating because it’s one that more Americans aren’t aware of.  Many Hawaiian books don’t have the same popularity as Kakaulele’s Kohala Kauamo, which was also presented this weekend at the National Book Fair in Washinton, D.C.
The discussion of the book by Kekaulele’s family was thought-provoking.  In particular, Walter put an emphasis on history, but our own history.  He said something along these lines, “If we could all learn each other’s histories through our names, history would be more interesting and more memorable.”  I never thought my name had much history to it and when I think of Kekaulele’s name and meaning, I don’t understand how my name could say so much.  But it is something I feel like I should learn someday.  I was also embarrassed by Walter’s discussion on oral tradition because my father is Hawaiian and he always tried to teach me some of the language, but I was never interested.  The language is obviously fascinating, but also a part of where I come from and it saddens me that I don’t know it that well. 
Kekaulele’s discussion gave me a lot to think about.  I think it was Walter who said, “Our family history is our greatest treasure.”  We never really think of our past anymore: where we come from and why we’re here.  Instead we think more about our futures: globalization and the economy.  There’s something truly special about actually sitting down and discussing family, culture, and tradition.  It’s sad because, as Walter puts it, we’re losing our greatest treasure.

1 comment:

  1. Kekaulele and his family clearly impacted your thinking. How wonderful. What will be most interesting is to see what you might do in terms of reviving your family history and your interest in Hawaiian language as a result.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete